When the Houghton National Bank was built in 1887, gold and cash were the common currencies. The bank vault held millions in cash, gold, and other riches accumulated during the glory days of fortunes from local copper mining and Great Lakes shipping. Today the Vault Hotel delivers 3 levels of unique guest rooms in a striking renovation that makes it the most distinctive lodging experience in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan.
Downtown Houghton. Walk to restaurants, breweries, coffee houses, and gift stores. 100 yards away from lake-front walking, running, and biking. Bring your skis. Harbor your boat. Explore.
From fresh water lakes to bountiful forests, there is an endless choice of things to see and explore. Visit Isle Royal National Park and find an adventure in remote wilderness while sharing trails with the island’s moose and wolves. Or visit Keweenaw National Historic Park in Calumet, Michigan, and experience the historic copper boom that built the United States at the Quincy Mine.
Mountain biking. Kayaking. Canoeing. Hiking. Skiing. It’s all available with countless miles of world-class outdoor recreation trails and access to Lake Superior and pristine inland waterways. Endless opportunities await.
Our boutique hotel has been featured across a number of publications, websites, and TV productions. We are honored to feature those works here.
- Condé Nast Traveler - 2023 Readers' Choice Awards
- M Live - 5 Michigan hotels named to list of top Midwest hotels
- Under the Radar Michigan - PBS Special
- M Live - Speakeasy Feature
- New York Post - 10 Hotels with Crazy Cool Backstories
- Amazing Mitten - Towns to Visit in Michigan This Winter
- Michigan Blue - Boutique Hotel Feature
- MyNorth - Keweenaw Peninsula Getaway
- MyNorth - 2023 Red Hot Best Awards